Pale Wire (Popscene)

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Challenging Camus (Sunday NYTimes)

Click here to read the first chapter of Brian Greene's new book on the future of physics, The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality.

Here's an excerpt:

Breakthroughs in physics have forced, and continue to force, dramatic revisions to our conception of the cosmos. I remain as convinced now as I was decades ago that Camus rightly chose life's value as the ultimate question, but the insights of modern physics have persuaded me that assessing life through the lens of everyday experience is like gazing at a van Gogh through an empty Coke bottle.

It looks pretty good to me. The opening pages are crisp, direct and engaging. It piqued my interest to read (and hopefully learn) more.

Click here if you want to read Roger Newton's review of the whole shebang.