Pale Wire (Popscene)

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Recommended Album:

Phoenix - Alphabetical

Phoenix are the backing band for the semi-well known French electronic duo Air (Whose new album, Talking Walkie, is pretty great. Soulseek out "Cherry Blossom Girl" from that one and "Playground Love" from their breakthrough album, Moon Safari). They're a real mellow, airy adult-pop band that's nothing too out there but plenty nice to listen to on a Sunday evening. Their new album, Alphabetical, is their second. The single is "Everything is Everything" and you can watch the video here.

They write tuneful and taut pop tunes. Strokes fans should dig. Plus I hear they hang out with Daft Punk. That's good enough for me.

I'd also suggest the singles "Too Young" and "If I Ever Feel Better" off their debut, United. The former was featured on the soundtrack to Sophia Coppola's Lost in Translation, which put them in the esteemed company of My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Squarepusher.

Click here for the current conversation about these guys on the SOMB. That's where I bit the video link from.