Pale Wire (Popscene)

Monday, May 24, 2004

40 Bands, 40 Singles

Over at the Sound Opinions Message Board we're compiling everybody's list of their favorite 10 singles. Join the fun! Click here and contribute your top 10.

Here are the ten I pulled off the top of my head:

10. Del Tha Funkee Homosapian - Dr. Bombay
09. The Clash - The Magnificent 7
08. Time Zone - World Destruction
07. DMX Krew - Street Boys
06. Inner City - Big Fun
05. The Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer
04. 1000 Homo DJs - Supernaut
03. Mantronix - Bassline
02. Saint Etienne - Like A Motorway
01. The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums

Though, anytime I do this it comes out completely different. Here are ten more that could just have easily made the list:

10. The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet
09. The Cure - Pictures of You
08. Pete Rock and CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
07. Nice and Smooth - Sometimes I Rhyme Slow
06. Fontella Bass - Rescue Me
05. The Jackson Five - I Want You Back
04. Orbital - Halycon & On & On
03. David Bowie - Young Americans
02. The Buzzcocks - Harmony in My Head
01. Sam and Dave - Wrap It Up

and another 10:

10. Prince - Controversy
09. Monaco - What Do You Want From Me?
08. New Order - Temptation
07. The Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
06. The Replacements - Bastards of Young
05. The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
04. Yo La Tengo - Tom Courtenay
03. Pulp - Common People
02. Iron Maiden - Running Free
01. ABBA - Does Your Mother Know

just try and stop me:

10. The Field Mice - Willow
09. The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
08. t.a.T.u. - All The Things She Said
07. Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the Street
06. Kylie Minogue - I Can't Get You Out of My Head
05. Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
04. Daft Punk - Digital Love
03. Missy Elliott - Get Your Freak On
02. The Basement Jaxx - Good Luck
01. Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp

They all seem like good lists to me.