Pale Wire (Popscene)

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I Love Music


This morning it came to my attention that Erlend Oye of Kings of Convenience has a mix floating around out there on the web. It's the latest installment in the DJ Kicks series and, kids, let me tell you, this thing is awesome. I suggest you go soulseek it out ASAP. For me, it's the Fabric 13 of 2004. The real unique thing about this one is that Erlend sings over a couple cuts in that sweet ass sadsack synth-pop voice of his!

And it just melts my heart like buttah.

Word on the street is that Erlend, who up to this point has been famous as an indie-pop type, only owned turntables for two months or so before making this mix. I wish somebody would pay me to do one of these things. I wouldn't be singing Smiths songs over it or anything but I promise I'd serve up some noise that nobody expected.

I can't load Erlend's official webpage but dude's site over at Astralwerks tells me he's also got a solo album out there right now too. It's called Unrest. Click here to watch the Jarvis Cocker-directed music video for the single, "Sudden Rush." It's pretty good.