Pale Wire (Popscene)

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Killing Time

Yesterday I read Samuel Beckett's "tragicomedy in two acts," Waiting for Godot.

It's one of the most famous plays of the 20th century so I doubt I need to give y'all a plot rundown or anything. Just want to say I liked it. It's Camus' Stranger introduced to Abbot and Costello; existential malaise squirted in the face with a seltzer bottle.

Because of the physical nature of the humor and the importance of pacing to the dialogue, I doubt you can get the full experience without seeing it performed in a theater. Loyal readers, have any of you seen a staging? Whatcha make of it?

Here's my big question, though. Does anyone speak Norman Mailer? If so, please translate the following quote, which was included on the back cover of my edition of the screenplay, into English for me.

It is possible that consciously or unconsciously Beckett is restating the moral and sexual basis of Christianity which was lost with Christ...


What the hell is he trying to say? That Christianity died with Christ? That Godot is Christ 2k? That I subconciously hate my mother?

That man confusicates me consistantly.