Pale Wire (Popscene)

Monday, June 14, 2004

Pure OTC


I went out bought my first Elephant 6 record today. The scene is dead and I'm moving in on the used CD racks like a vulture. I got The Olivia Tremor Control's Black Foliage: Animation Music Vol. 1 on the cheap over at Coconuts. It's pretty whacked out. Brain Wilson-ish style 60s pop run through a grinder and taped back together by some basement dwelling indie type with a crusty beard.

I'm not sure if I like it, but it sure is remarkable. My pop loving instincts cry out to knee jerk against the indie noodling but there's something here that interests me. I love the packaging and the Andy Partridge fan in me has a special place in his heart (which is buried within the chest of the little Andy housed in my left ventricle, in case you were wondering) for album oriented pop. I'm going to stick with it.

If you click here you can download a whole host of E6 mp3s free and legal. Among the goodies are several concert bootlegs and covers of The Velvet Underground's "European Son" as well as two Beach Boy tunes.