Pale Wire (Popscene)

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Silly Sex


I finished a collection of Milan Kundera short stories this morning around 2 a.m. Laughable Loves is composed of nine masterful tragicomedies sharing one theme: men who think with their pecker instead of their brain. Great stuff.

It's refreshing to read anything by an Eastern European writer that isn't a political novel about communist oppression. Not that Stalinism doesn't play a role--in one story a member of the communist party member is blacklisted because he's so desperate to seduce a Christian woman he pretends to find God. And I'd never suggest it's something that should be ignored. It's just very exciting for me to get my hands on something Kundera has written about other things.

I picked this one up last week during my first visit to The Acorn, a used bookstore located in downtown Columbia. It's a nice enough place but I was suprised to find that used book prices here are priced noticably higher than in Chicago. I suppose lower demand and less competition are the reasons.

I respect anybody that runs an independent used bookstore but I still have a hard time paying $5.95 for a beatup paperback from the 1970s.