Pale Wire (Popscene)

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Waking Life


Tonight I finished Geoffrey O'Brien's short story collection Dream Time: Chapters from the Sixties. It's a baker's dozen of warm impressionistic portraits of the people of America's notorious counterculture and the larger societal moods that characterized the time.

Ya' know, zeitgeists and shit.

Obviously, I wasn't born when all this stuff went down but I found O'Brien romantic and unflinching remembrance absorbing. Like a dream, it evoked all sorts of bright colors and feelings. A sensual treat!

As you may have noticed, I've been systematically working my way through Geoff's work lately, having now finished this book, a collection of film essays and a short "meditation on browsing."

I just ordered two more of his books tonight. If you're interested, you can find used copies of Dream Time on Amazon.com starting at 1 cent.

It's worth the investment.

If you're a youngish person like me who's interesting in reading something about the 60s that captures the passion of the time without tipping over into glossy, watered down self-aggrandizement (Almost Famous) or giving in to the modern fashion for nostaligic self-repudiation (Forrest Gump), then this is the book for you.