Pale Wire (Popscene)

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Get Smart


A review I wrote about Steven Johnson's buzzy book Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter ran in a local magazine today*. Instead of reading that book, you should pick up its antithesis, Neil Postman's polemic Amusing Ourselves to Death, which I heartily enjoyed reading in preparation for my review.

I haven't finished much lately other than Lanford Wilson's excellent play Book of Days.

I've been busy studying French and burrowing my way through Remnick's tome (wait for it....) Lenin's Tomb. I've also been log jammed on my two-person book club's latest selection, The Tin Drum, and Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, which I'm trying to rush through again this week to ready myself for our local production, which closes after this weekend.

If you're looking for something fun to read, I'd suggest picking up the newest Harper's and reading Jack Hitt's "Mighty White of You: Racial preferences color America’s oldest skulls and bones." Goodness, do I ever love irreverent science writing.

*For a fun challenge, see if you can spot the two factual errors inserted into the story by my line editors.