Pale Wire (Popscene)

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Who likes the movies?
The best of 2005


I see a lot of them, myself. Here's a list of my 25 favorite released since the last time Hollywood held the Oscars:

25. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
24. Kings and Queen
23. March of the Penguins
22. Pretty Persuasion
21. Syriana
20. Walk the Line
19. Hustle & Flow
18. The Squid and the Whale
17. Serenity
16. A History of Violence
15. Red Eye
14. The Constant Gardener
13. Happy Endings
12. King Kong
11. My Summer of Love
10. Gunner Palace
09. Walk on Water
08. Match Point
07. Broken Flowers
06. Good Night, And Good Luck
05. Capote
04. Brokeback Mountain
03. The Aristocrats
02. Head-On
Best Picture: The Best of Youth

And here's who I think deserve to win the individual awards, not who I think will win them, mind you.

Best Director: Marco Tullio Giordana - The Best of Youth
Best Actress: Sibel Kekilli - Head-On (pictured above)
Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Best Supporting Actress: Emily Blunt - My Summer of Love
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
Best Original Screenplay: The Cast of The Aristocrats
Best Adapted Screenplay: - Larry McMurtry and Diane Ossana - Brokeback Mountain
Best Cinematography: Rodrigo Preito - Brokeback Mountain
Best Documentary: The Aristocrats
Worst Picture: Sin City

And here are the movies I still want to see:
  • 2046
  • Cache (Hidden)
  • Crash
  • Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
  • Grizzly Man
  • The Island
  • Junebug
  • Lord of War
  • Munich
  • Murderball
  • The New World
  • The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
  • Thumbsucker
  • Wallace & Gromit
  • War of the Worlds
  • Why We Fight
  • The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
What were your favorites? Who am I missing? Where did I screw up?