Pale Wire (Popscene)

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

WMD, it ain't
But my does it look pressing.

Anyone who can tell me what that chart means wins the sandwich of their choice. I swear to goodness itself that I found it in the U.S. Army's new pocket guide to Arab culture. I suspect it's supposed to be a breakdown of the regions where Arab people live, but its lack of supporting information and the mysterious header give it a geopolitical bent that boggles the mind.

You can read the whole thing by clicking here.

The chart is in on the fourth page, along with these tasty nuggets:



I've sent an email asking for clarification to Penny Mellies, the contact person listed for the guide's creator, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. If you want to call her, her phone number is listed as 913.684.7920/DSN552-7920.

If you could tell me what that DSN means, I'd appreciate that too. But no sandwich.